Dog dies after eating palm oil on Merseyside beach

Advertisements

A dog has died after it consumed palm oil while on a walk on a Merseyside beach.

National Trust Formby warned about the dangers of palm oil after a dog died after eating it while out on Formby beach.

Although it is not clear when the incident happened that trust said to ‘remain vigilant’ and ‘not to allow dogs to eat anything on the beach’.

National Trust Formby said on their facebook page: “We are aware that a dog has sadly passed away due to potentially eating palm oil on Formby beach.

“Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for harmful materials such as palm oil to wash up on the beach, so dog owners should always remain vigilant and not allow their dogs to eat anything on the beach.

READ MORE: How does Palm Oil get on the beach and how does it affect dogs and humans?

Advertisements

“If you suspect that your dog has consumed palm oil, please seek veterinary advice immediately.

“If anyone does see what they suspect to be palm oil on Formby beach, please report it to National Trust staff.

“What does palm oil look like? It can be identified by a petrol-like, rancid smell. Some lumps typically have a yellow/white appearance, but many are difficult to spot as they are grey and covered in sand”.

On a mobile device ?. Scroll down to see the LIVE weather and tomorrows weather for Merseyside.

And like our facebook & twitter page to keep up to date with our latest posts.