Only a handful of train services run on Boxing Day, but for the first time in its history Merseyrail will break the usual trend of local services not operating this Christmas.
Merseytravel will provide Boxing day services which will be full length, six carriages, enabling as many people as possible to travel.
Services will start from 9am and the last ones from the centre of town will be around 6.30pm.
Merseytravel say Boxing Day services is part of an initiative to provide more choice in how and when people travel during the Christmas period, boosting the local economy and supporting jobs.
Boxing day trains will be every thirty minutes and call at the following stations:
- Southport: Birkdale, Formby, Waterloo, Sandhills, Liverpool Central and Liverpool South Parkway
- Ormskirk: Maghull, Aintree, Kirkdale, Sandhills and Liverpool Central
- Kirkby: Kirkdale, Sandhills and Liverpool Central
- New Brighton: Birkenhead North, Conway Park, James Street and Liverpool Central
- West Kirby: Leasowe, Birkenhead North, Conway Park, James Street and Liverpool Central
- Hooton: Bromborough, Rock Ferry, Birkenhead Central, James Street and Liverpool Central
For a full timetable of Merseyrail Boxing Day services click here.
There will also be late night trains on the last two Fridays and Saturdays before Christmas. Click here for more information.
Councillor Liam Robinson, chair of Merseytravel, said: ‘This is the Liverpool city region really doing something differently. Traditionally, only a handful of services operate nationally, but we’ve listened to our customers and what they want.
‘This is another example of the benefits our local management of the Merseyrail network, which gives us the flexibility to respond to customer need.
‘Working with operators, we’ve been keen to take a holistic approach to transport in the lead-up to and during the Christmas period, and these Boxing day and late night services are a key element of that.’
Like us on Facebook & follow us on twitter for the latest winter and christmas weather news – Scroll down to the bottom of this post!
Why not head to our desktop site to sign up to our email notifications so you never miss our latest posts!